Image by gpointstudio on Freepik
Teaching kids about dental health is essential, but it doesn’t have to be a daunting task. It is observed that in most cases, teaching oral hygiene to kids becomes difficult for parents and guardians. Here at Aesthetic Dental, we witness several parents seek our advice to instill oral hygiene in their kids from an early age. Therefore being a responsible multi-specialty dental clinic in Mohali, we’re here to help. We understand that good oral hygiene habits in children from a young age are crucial for their lifelong dental health. So, let’s take a deep dive into how to teach Oral hygiene to kids.
Why it is important to teach Oral hygiene to kids?
Children are curious by nature. They try to grab and get everything they observe. It could be mud, door handles, Sweets, chocolates, etc. All these things travel from their tiny hands to their mouth and unconsciously lead to cavities and many other dental problems. In fact, these can lead to give birth to other diseases as well. Therefore it is essential to make their proper routine of Oral hygiene.
Further, they will find junk food everywhere. Noodles, pasta, and momos are widely consumed in today’s world. These types of foods pave the path for cavities if proper care has not been taken. Thus with other hygiene habits, oral hygiene has to be taught to kids.
What habits should you teach in the Oral hygiene routine?
Every child must follow the following oral hygiene habits:
1. How to brush properly at least twice a day.
2. Floss teeth regularly.
3. Rinse your mouth after every meal.
4. Limit intake of sweets, acidic or fast foods.
5. Drink plenty of water
6. Visit the Dentist Regularly
How can you teach Oral hygiene to Kids?
Let’s agree. Teaching anything to kids is very difficult. So, how will you teach oral hygiene to kids? You must understand that you are a role model for your kids. So, if you are serious about instilling some good oral hygiene habits, you must follow them first and then expect kids to do.
Well, let’s explore some exciting and playful ways to turn oral care into an enjoyable adventure for your little ones!
Find out the following fun activities:
- Magical Brushing: Transform brushing into a magical experience. Opt for toothbrushes adorned with their favorite cartoon characters or vibrant colors. Add a dash of “toothpaste magic” (that’s toothpaste) and witness their enthusiasm soar. Encourage them to brush as if they’re creating a masterpiece – their clean teeth are their canvas, and the toothbrush is their paintbrush!
- Use a countdown or set a timer: Make brushing a game by using a timer or a catchy song to create a two-minute countdown. Challenge them to brush their upper teeth until the song’s chorus and then their lower teeth until it ends. Not only does this keep them engaged, but it also ensures they brush for the recommended time.
- Let them choose their tools: Take your children on an exciting trip down the dental care aisle. Allow them to select their own toothbrush, toothpaste flavor, and even floss. When kids have a say in their dental supplies, they’re more likely to take ownership of their oral hygiene routine.
- Be an incredible storyteller: Craft imaginative tales about mischievous “Sugar Bugs” that love hiding in their mouths. Explain that these bugs thrive on leftover food and sugar on their teeth, which can lead to cavities. Transforming dental care into a heroic mission to defeat the Sugar Bugs can make brushing and flossing more captivating.
- Brush Together: Turn brushing into a family event. Set a specific time for everyone to brush together. Children often mimic their parent’s behavior, so when they see you prioritize oral hygiene, they’re more likely to follow suit. Plus, it’s a fantastic way to bond as a family.
- Children love Rewards: Create a vibrant chart where children can earn stickers for each successful brushing session. After accumulating a certain number of stickers, they can enjoy a small reward – perhaps a new book, a trip to the park, or an extra bedtime story.
- Use interactive apps and games to encourage brushing and rinsing: In today’s digital age, there’s an abundance of apps and online games designed to educate kids about oral hygiene in a fun and entertaining way. You should turn yourself into a techy cool parent. These interactive tools can teach while keeping your child engaged and entertained.
- Show and Tell: Use a magnifying mirror to let your child explore their teeth up close. Explain how brushing and flossing help keep their teeth clean and healthy. Visualizing the process can make it more relatable and understandable for them.
- Power of practicing more: Allow your child to practice brushing on their favorite stuffed animal or doll. This hands-on approach helps them grasp the correct brushing technique and the importance of reaching all teeth.
- Celebrate Milestones: Celebrate your child’s oral hygiene milestones, such as their first time flossing or successfully brushing without assistance. Small celebrations, like a dance party or a special treat, can make these moments memorable.
The Bottom Line:
Remember, teaching oral hygiene is about integrating it into your child’s daily routine while making it enjoyable. Further, if they watch you do it regularly, they will follow the same.
At Aesthetic Dental, we believe that learning about dental health can be a positive and fun experience for kids. By using these creative methods, you’re setting them up for a lifetime of healthy smiles. If you ever have questions or need guidance, feel free to reach out to our experts. Happy brushing!
Still, if you are looking for any expert guidance to teach your kids good oral hygiene habits, Book your appointment with us.